Tater tots are not my favorite side item, but if they are hot and crispy I just can’t resist them. The thing is I’m impatient. I don’t want to wait for the oven so that’s when I turn to my trust microwave! But, can you microwave frozen tater tots? So they are still hot AND crispy?
Yes, you can microwave frozen tater tots. It’s a quick and easy way to have a delicious snack or side dish in just a few minutes.
To microwave tater tots, simply place them on a microwave-safe plate and heat them on high power for 2 to 3 minutes. No defrosting necessary! Use parchment paper or even better, a microwave crisper, for best results.
Can You Microwave Frozen Tater Tots?
Tater tots are a popular snack and side dish that can be cooked in a variety of ways. One common question that many people have is whether or not you can microwave frozen tater tots. The answer is yes, you can microwave frozen tater tots, but there are a few things to keep in mind.
Microwaving Tater Tots
Microwaving frozen tater tots is a quick and easy way to enjoy this tasty snack. To microwave tater tots, simply place them on a microwave-safe plate and heat them on high power for 2 to 3 minutes. Be sure to space them out so they’re not touching, and flip them halfway through to ensure even cooking.
Baking Tater Tots
Baking tater tots is another popular cooking method that can result in crispy, golden brown tots. To bake tater tots, preheat your oven to 425°F and spread the tots out in a single layer on a baking sheet. Spray them with cooking spray or toss them with a little bit of oil, then sprinkle them with salt and any other seasonings you like.
Bake the tater tots for 20 to 25 minutes, flipping them halfway through, until they’re crispy and golden brown. Baking tater tots takes longer than microwaving, but it can result in a crispier texture.
Frying Tater Tots
Frying tater tots is another option for those who want a crispy texture. To fry tater tots, heat a large skillet over medium heat and add enough oil to cover the bottom of the pan. Add the tater tots in a single layer and cook for 2 to 3 minutes per side, until they’re crispy and golden brown.
Frying tater tots can be messy and time-consuming, but it can result in a deliciously crispy snack or side dish.
In conclusion, microwaving frozen tater tots is a quick and easy snack option, but it may not result in the crispy texture that many people prefer. Baking or frying tater tots can take longer, but it can result in a crispier texture. Whether you’re enjoying tater tots as a snack or as a side dish with burgers or hot dogs, there are plenty of ways to cook them to perfection.
How to Microwave Tater Tots
Tater tots are a delicious snack or side dish that can be easily prepared in the microwave. To get the best results, it’s important to prepare your microwave oven and tater tots correctly before cooking. Here is how you can make microwaved tater tots that are perfectly crispy and delicious every time.
Step 1: Preparing Your Microwave Oven (Optional)
Before you begin, make sure your microwave oven is clean and free of any food particles or debris. If necessary, wipe down the interior with a damp cloth or paper towel. Set your microwave oven to high power and preheat for 1-2 minutes.
Step 2: Placing the Tater Tots in the Microwave
Once your microwave oven is preheated, place the frozen tater tots on a plate or shallow bowl lined with parchment paper. Make sure they are spread out evenly so they cook evenly. For a full bag of tater tots, cook for 5-6 minutes until crispy. For a single serving size, cook for 2 to 3 minutes followed by 1 1/2 minutes standing time.
Step 3: Flip Halfway Through
Halfway through the cooking time, flip the tater tots using tongs or a spatula to ensure even browning and cooking.
Step 4: Checking for Doneness
Closely monitor the tater tots during cooking to avoid burning. If necessary, reduce the cooking time slightly or adjust the microwave power level to prevent overcooking.
When done, check the tater tots for doneness by visually inspecting them or testing their texture with a fork or spoon. The outside should be golden brown and crispy while the inside should be hot and cooked through.
Additional Tips & Tricks
For extra flavor, consider adding some seasoning such as garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, or chili powder before cooking in the microwave oven. You can also choose from different dipping sauces such as ketchup, ranch dressing, honey mustard sauce, cheese sauce etc., depending on your preference. Enjoy!
Here’s how to do it step by step:
- First, place a single layer of frozen tater tots on a microwave-safe plate. Make sure the tater tots are not touching each other to ensure even cooking.
- Cover the plate with a microwave-safe lid or plastic wrap. If using plastic wrap, make sure to poke a few holes in it to allow steam to escape.
- Microwave the tater tots on high for 2-3 minutes, or until they are heated through. Check on the tater tots halfway through and give them a flip to ensure even cooking.
- Remove the plate from the microwave and let the tater tots cool for a minute before serving.
While microwaving tater tots is quick and convenient, keep in mind that they may not get as crispy as they would if you baked, deep-fried, or grilled them. However, you can enhance their crispiness by using a microwave crisper. Simply spray the grill or maker with cooking spray, add the tater tots in a row, sprinkle with salt, and microwave on high power for 5-6 minutes until crispy.
Baking Tater Tots
While microwaving frozen tater tots is a quick and easy snack, baking them in the oven can give you a crispy texture that is hard to beat. Baking frozen tater tots in the oven is a great way to get them golden brown and crispy. Here is a step-by-step guide to baking tater tots in the oven:
- Preheat your oven to 425°F.
- Spread the frozen tater tots in a single layer on a baking sheet.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, flipping the tater tots halfway through the cooking time.
- Remove from the oven when they are crispy and golden brown.
To make your tater tots extra crispy, you can use heat susceptors, which are specially designed to crisp up frozen foods in the oven. You can also season your tater tots with your favorite spices or cheese for a delicious twist.
Baked tater tots are a great side dish for burgers or as a snack on their own. They are also a great addition to potato casseroles or other dishes that call for grated potatoes.
One of the best things about baking tater tots is that you can save them for later. After they are baked, let them cool and store them in an airtight container in the fridge. When you are ready to eat them, simply reheat them in the oven for a few minutes to regain their crispy texture.
Overall, baking tater tots in the oven is an easy and delicious way to enjoy this classic American snack. Whether you prefer them plain or with a cheesy twist, crispy tater tots are sure to satisfy your taste buds.
Frying Tater Tots
Frying tater tots is a popular way to cook them, and it results in a crispy exterior and a soft interior. The process of frying tater tots involves deep-frying them in oil until they turn golden brown. Here are some tips for frying tater tots:
- Heat the oil to 375°F in a deep fryer or a heavy-bottomed pot.
- Add the tater tots to the oil and fry them for 2-3 minutes or until they turn golden brown.
- Use a slotted spoon to remove the tater tots from the oil and place them on a paper towel-lined plate to drain the excess oil.
- Season the tater tots with salt and serve them hot with ketchup or any other dipping sauce of your choice.
Fried tater tots can be used as a snack, a side dish for salads or casseroles, or as a topping for hot dogs. They are a crowd-pleaser and are perfect for parties or gatherings.
While frying tater tots is a delicious way to cook them, it is not the healthiest option due to the high amount of oil used. If you are looking for a healthier alternative, consider using an air fryer. An air fryer uses hot air to cook the tater tots, resulting in a crispy exterior and a soft interior, similar to deep-frying but with less oil.
How to Make Tater Tots Crispy in the Microwave.
With the help of a Microwave Crisper, you can achieve crispy tater tots right in your microwave. It’s what I use all the time!
If you have one, use the below steps:
- Preheating the Microwave Crisper: Start by preheating the crisper according to the manufacturer’s instructions. This step is crucial to ensure optimal crispiness. Follow the specific guidelines provided with your crisper to reach the desired preheating temperature.
- Preparing the Tater Tots: While the crisper is preheating, prepare your tater tots. You can use store-bought frozen tater tots or make them from scratch. If using frozen tater tots, ensure they are evenly spaced on a microwave-safe plate or dish.
- Setting the Temperature and Cooking Time: Place the prepared tater tots on the preheated crisper. Set the microwave to the recommended temperature setting provided by the crisper’s manufacturer. Typically, a high temperature, around 400°F (200°C), is ideal for achieving crispy results. Adjust the cooking time based on the manufacturer’s guidelines.
- Cooking Process: Carefully place the crisper with the tater tots inside the microwave. Start the microwave and allow the tater tots to cook according to the recommended time. The specific cooking time may vary depending on the wattage of your microwave and the thickness of the tater tots. Refer to the crisper’s instructions and adjust accordingly.
- Flipping and Rotating: Halfway through the cooking time, carefully flip and rotate the tater tots using tongs or a spatula. This ensures even browning and crispiness on all sides.
- Checking for Crispiness: Towards the end of the cooking time, keep a close eye on the tater tots. Look for a golden brown color and a crispy texture. If necessary, add a little more cooking time to achieve your desired level of crispiness.
- Seasoning and Toppings: Once the tater tots are crispy and cooked to perfection, remove them from the microwave crisper. Season them with salt and pepper or any additional seasonings of your choice. You can also add toppings such as grated cheese, bacon bits, or chopped herbs to enhance the flavor.
Tips for Best Results:
- Ensure the tater tots are evenly spaced on the crisper to promote even heating.
- Avoid overcrowding the crisper to allow hot air circulation for better crispiness.
- Experiment with different seasoning blends to customize the flavor of your tater tots.
- Follow the manufacturer’s safety guidelines for using the microwave crisper, including any recommended cookware or utensils.
In conclusion, frying tater tots is a delicious way to cook them, and they can be used in a variety of dishes. However, it is important to keep in mind that it is not the healthiest option and should be consumed in moderation.