Do you love pizza, but don’t have the patience or time to wait for it in the oven? Have you ever though, can you microwave a frozen pizza? It’s a lot easier than you might think!
In this guide, we’ll go over the basics of preparing and microwaving a frozen pizza. We’ll also discuss some factors to consider when cooking one, so that you can get the best results possible.
So let’s get started!
One of the main reasons why people choose to cook their frozen pizza in the oven is because it tastes better. The oven gives the pizza a chance to cook evenly all the way through, which results in a tastier crust and toppings. Additionally, the heat from the oven helps to bring out the flavor of the sauce and cheese. However, if you’re in a hurry and don’t have the time to wait for the oven to preheat, microwaving is a perfectly acceptable way to cook your pizza.
Different Types of Frozen Pizza
There are many different types of frozen pizzas to choose from in this market! This article will focus on microwaving frozen pizza that doesn’t come with a silver tray and specifically give microwave instructions.
Here’s some examples of frozen pizzas out there.
- Red Baron Single Deep Dish. Individually wrapped deep dish pizzas, 5 inches. Comes with a silver tray and specific microwave instructions.
- French Bread Single Pizza. Individually wrapped pizza on a french bread. Comes with a silver tray and specific microwave instructions.
- Bagel Bites. Yummy! You can microwave these by following the directions on the bag or box.
- Pizza Rolls. Instructions are included on the bag for microwaving these!
- Standard frozen pizza. The topic of today’s post is about microwaving your standard frozen pizza. These are typically cooked in the oven, but depending on the size of the pizza, you can easily microwave them! We have a guide below for this!
How To Prep a Frozen Pizza for the Microwave
Preparing a frozen pizza for microwaving doesn’t require a lot. Really just a few steps. Unlike the oven, there is nothing to preheat!
To prep your frozen pizza, follow the below guidelines.
- Remove frozen pizza from packaging.
- Remove cardboard backing from pizza.
- Cut out some parchment paper to put your pizza on. Leave an inch on the outside.
How to Microwave a Frozen Pizza
Unlike the oven, there is no need to preheat the microwave before putting in your frozen pizza. You don’t even have to defrost it. The microwave will do all the work for you!
Here is a chart you can reference. Find your microwave wattage or heat, the size of your pizza and microwave in that timeframe.
|Wattage and Size
|1100 (High heat)
|900 (Medium High Heat)
|600 (Low Heat)
|8 – 9 in
|4 to 6 minutes
|5 to 7 minutes
|6 to 8 minutes
|5 to 7 minutes
|6 to 8 minutes
|7 to 9 minutes
|7 to 11 minutes
|8 to 12 minutes
|10 to 14 minutes
|7 to 8 minutes
|8 to 9 minutes
|9 to 10 minutes
|1 to 2 minutes
|2 to 3 minutes
|3 to 4 minutes
Step 1: Place your pizza on the parchment paper from your prepping stage. The parchment paper should cover the bottom of your pizza entirely and leave about an inch from the crust to the edge of the paper.
Step 2: Place pizza in the microwave.
Step 3: Choose your microwave setting from the chart above. Some microwaves may only be a specific wattage. Or you might be able to choose the heat level.
Step 4: Set timer accordingly. We recommend starting at the lower time limit, then doing 20 second intervals to the upper time limit until desired cooking has occurred. For example, if you have an 8 to 9 inch pizza and an 1100 watt microwave, set the time for 4 minutes.
Step 5: Continue cooking in 20 second intervals. After you have reached the lower time limit, check the pizza. If it requires further cooking, microwave in 20 second intervals, checking the pizza each interval.
Step 6: Take out pizza and enjoy! Be careful, it may be hot!
Tips for Microwaving Frozen Pizza
It’s perfectly safe to microwave a frozen pizza, but many people are concerned the crust will get too soggy. The truth it, if you microwave a pizza, it will not be as crispy as it would be in an oven. But there are some guidelines you can follow in order to get the best results!
- Use a microwave crisping sheet like this one. It will help keep your frozen pizza crisp in the microwave because it shields the electromagnetic waves from the dish itself and goes straight to the food.
- Never use aluminum foil or anything metal in the microwave. It can cause sparks and potentially your pizza.
- If the manufacturer has included a silver sheet in the box, use that while following their specific instructions. The manufacturer knows best how to get the best results with their products.
Final Answer to Can You Microwave a Frozen Pizza?
Yes, you can microwave a frozen pizza! While using an oven is the best way to get that crispy crust, sometimes you’re just going to be short on time and don’t have the time to wait. In this case, microwaving your frozen pizza is your only option.
Be sure to follow the guidelines we have listed above and times! Also, everyone’s microwave is different, so experiment and see what works best for you! Let us know how it goes in the comments!